Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Sewing tips


  • Wind multiple bobbins to start a project. Or just use white or black bobbin thread.
  • If you are designing something with small pieces (like quilts or fiber art) warm and natural batting tacked to your wall makes for a great design board. Cotton fabric just sticks to it.
  • Thread snips are a great tool, even better if you can wear them around your neck to trim seam tails.
  • Boxes of organized notions. I have one with zippers, another one with buttons and fasteners, and another with piping, elastic and seam binding tape. I have them on a shelf over my head when I am at my sewing machine.
Vintage sewing kit at MmeRubys on Etsy

  • Boxes or shelves of fabric by kind. I have large opaque bins with labels on them like, Shirting, Quilting, Upholstery, Suiting, and Knits. Yes I have that much fabric.
  • Patterns organized by top or bottom, dress, kids, mens or sportswear ensembles.
Things will get messy every now an then, that's when it's time to reset your room and see if some organizational tool isn't working for you (you find it difficult to accomplish, not just that you hate cleaning up, cause lets face it you have to clean up every now an again when you are creative). I thought having my bins on a book shelf next to my sewing machine would work but it didn't, I had to put up a wall shelf above my sewing table and now it's much more fluid and usable.
Enjoy,
Head Bather


No comments:

Post a Comment