Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Recycled fabric and notions



Well I guess I have good taste, cause what I thought was a fix to a lack of matching fabric/empty wallet has become one of the most requested projects from my friends and family. Now I must give credit where it's due, Amy Butler designed this lovely messenger bag called the High Street bag, and since I love her and messenger bags I had to have it. I promptly went to cutting the pattern out and realized that I didn't have any matching upholstery fabrics (boo) ok fabric shopping (yeah) wait no money (boo), and I must have this made for an upcoming trip to visit the fam in FL. What to do, what to do!?

What any self respecting fabric addict would do, check your stash and begin matching up according to a color or theme. So out came the mustard yellow rubber backed brocade from some little thrift shop find, and zippers from the decade when I was born. Seriously I pick up all sorts of stuff at the thrift shops. Now I was proud of my creation but didn't think it was all that special, it was just a bag that would work as a diaper/purse while racing thru the ATL airport with a toddler to get to my next flight. To my surprise it caught the eye of my best bud (who may get one one day ;) and my sister, both of whom have excellent taste though very different from my own. Now back home and wishing to give a dear friend something for her soon to be here babe, I head back to my fabric stash and I have come up with this treasure. Salvaged french fabric that had been curtains, upholstery swatches and over sized zippers cut down to size. I hope she likes it as much as I do!

Covering the sewing machine,
Head Bather

No comments:

Post a Comment