Saturday, September 10, 2011

Last days of summer grilling


Are you hot yet? Has the last sweet, salty, sweat of summer descended your back?
Yup here too.
While I am glad my family is tied to the AC business, electricity to run the dang thing is expensive. Even with the thing running 24hr a day the house can't get to the lovely days of 75 degrees. Days like this I don't want to use the oven or stove at all. Keep the heat outside.
I'm grilling.
Once the sun goes down a bit.
If I have a frosty beverage.
Here is one of my favorite grilling recipes right now.

4 small White fish of some kind fillets (I use Hake but you could sub, cod, flounder, just pay attention to the thickness and cooking time. It's a variable thing dependent on your grill and thickness of fish)
Fresh herbs on the stem (tarragon, thyme, cilantro, lemon thyme, mint are all great)
A few lemons sliced medium thickness (this photo has about four lemons, but it's a lot of fish)
salt and pepper

I use a grill pan (the ones with the holes for using on the out door grill it's about 12"x12"), but I think a few layers of heavy duty tin foil might work too. The lemons burned to the pan last time and was a pain to get clean, now I put the lemons right on the grill, no fuss no muss. No matter what you use coat it in oil, things are gonna get hot and sticky. Lay down your lemon slices in a layer to lay the fish on, then lay the herbs (mix them up a bit but leave on the stem) on top of the lemons, and follow with the fish fillets. Lightly salt and pepper the top of the fish, they are now ready for the grill. Your grill should be on medium low. Somewhere in the 350 degree zone, I'm no grill master, again I just eyeball it. Lay your prepared grill pan with fish, lemon, and herbs in the middle of the grill and close the lid. Cook for about thirty minute but check on it after fifteen. Serve on plate without the herbs and lemon, they are usually charred a bit. If they are not feel free to squeeze a bit of the lemon juice (if there is any left) onto the fish.
Goes great with grilled asparagus, or tiny potatoes in a tinfoil bag with lemon, sweet paprika and herb butter!
Enjoy the last few days of summer!
Head Bather

No comments:

Post a Comment