Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Ayurveda

One of the healing methods I have been interested in for a long time is Ayurveda, It's a system of health through balance of the three humors or doshas. If there is imbalance in your doshas then illness or disease could follow, and imbalances can come from stress, environment, and diet to name a few.
Each of the three doshas is a combination of the five elements: Space/Spirit, Air, Earth, Fire, and Water. You can be dominant in one dosha more than another or a balance between two. They are Vatha, Pitta, and Kapha, and each one has a body type that you can use to physically see what dosha you may be.
  • Vatha: Air and Spirit, is a slender frame, with dry, rough and possibly dark skin, with brown or black hair color (natural of course) small thin lips and dark eyes.
  • Pitta: Fire with some Water, is of a medium height with fair to reddish completion and hair, green to grayish eye color and an average size mouth.
  • Kapha: Mostly water with some Earth, is a larger frame, tends to be over weight, thick and pale oily skin, and strong white teeth behind a large mouth.

Your dosha or doshas can be out of balance just due to living your life and can be brought back in balance with yoga, breathing exercises, diet, (my favorite) massage, and ayurvedic medicine. You can also work on your chakra's to restore balance, I have found that guided meditations on CD to be very helpful to lead me through the process. There are even some free pod casts to download, though it had taken some hunting to find one that works for me.

I use this knowledge of my dosha to help me understand what types of food to eat (though I still have a hard time letting go of my breads) and what kind of skin care to use on my body. I have always known I felt better after a good yoga series and continue to use it to release tension and bring me back to center. Next time lets talk about what types of skin care your dosha craves, till then remember to breathe and drink your water.

Head Bather

No comments:

Post a Comment